Wednesday, December 4, 2013

What I Read Wednesday: Of the Soul Variety

I really need to get my rear in gear!  I still have about 8 books I need to read by December 31st to meet my Goodreads reading goal for the year.  It's kind of sad seeing that I have not even read 75 books when my goal the last 2 years was over 100.  That whole National Boards thing definitely is the culprit.  In this case...I can't wait for winter break so I can read all kinds of books I've had on my to-reads list for ages (I had a load of fun doing that during my fall break).

In the meantime, I've only read one book since the last WIRW post.  Whoops!

Unwholly by Neal Shusterman

Oh how I wish this sequel was as good as the first.  Since Unwind, the first in the series, was all about how unwanted teens are unwound for organ donation purposes, this one had to somehow follow-up with the immorality behind it.  Imagine taking parts from a ton of Unwinds and putting them all together to make a new human.  What happens to the soul?  Will it have one?

Depending on what you might believe yourself, you might really love or hate what begins to develop in this human project one "company" attempts.  

Meanwhile, the characters from Unwind are struggling with what happened to them at the end of the last book.  They all survived but seem to be more damaged or lost than before.  One is battling with an arm he was given while unconscious as well as his past anger issues, another is battling with her choice to not be given an unwound part to help her live fully, and the other is battling with his choice to be a Clapper.  

I really cannot seem to put my finger on why I didn't quite enjoy this one as much as Unwind.  It certainly covers the kind of topic so many people argue over today (just like the first book).  But Shusterman did not spend as much time on the "Frankenstein" character as much as I had hoped he would.  Also, I hate Nelson.  That is all.  Let me know if you agree after reading it or if you already have read Unwholly.  Here's hoping the 3rd installment pick sup the pace a bit and brings in all the political issues the first one had.  

My rating:  3 out of 5 stars ||  Goodreads average:  4.29 stars

Please feel free to add me on Goodreads or follow my reviews there.  I absolutely love discovering new and interesting books that I may not have found otherwise.  

I'd love to know what you have been reading or have read lately!  Care to share?


Link up with Amy (last week's) to share your latest reads or what you are reading right now.