Sunday, June 1, 2014

Currently June

It's been awhile since I was able to sit and enjoy one of Farley's Currently posts.  I am a week into my summer break...have had one school-related nightmare and have been hitting the gym every day!  So, here's to a celebratory Currently!


Listening

I've had a fascination with learning about WWII since learning about Pearl Harbor when I was in 6th grade.  From there, I began to find the Holocaust interesting (and I mean that in a way that means I despise this happened)...reading quite a few memoirs, historical fiction, and more ever since.  So, when I found out The History Channel was showing a new 3-part mini-series, I had to record it!  My hubby and I are watching Part 2 and both of us have learned a lot we didn't even know about...me more so.  As we sit here, my hubby is calling out the names of all the planes (he is a fan).  For example, I had no idea America only had 100,000 troops around the time we HAD to become part of WWI.  We found out why Hitler had his icky little mustache too...when he was in the trenches of WWI, he wasn't able to seal his gas mask when gas was thrown in.  So, he chopped the sides of it off with a knife right there in the trenches.  Seeing how Hitler rose to power, as well as other fascist leaders, is giving me the willies.  I highly recommend you watch this mini-series too!

Loving

Oh summer break how I love thee!  Let me count the ways.  I printed out the gym schedules for the 3 that I go to (gotta love the multi-gym pass I have with LA Fitness) and figured out how to fit in as much yoga, Zumba, and now Pilates as possible.  It feels great!  I have only read 13 books so far and normally I would have read double that by now.  This is because I would come home after work and just plop down on the couch to watch mindless TV in order not to stew over and think about the day's events or next day's events as much as possible.  

Thinking

I am retaking 2 parts of my National Boards this year as I only missed certifying by 6 teeny tiny points. I already submitted my Entry 3 portfolio for scoring, now all I need to do is take the Science section of my Assessment Center exercises.  I've made notecards of several Accomplished Teaching Standards and the Unifying Concepts in order to pull them for evidence during my written exam...but I haven't studied!  Thank goodness I am meeting with a fellow candidate friend to study tomorrow.  Procrastination at its finest!!

Wanting

My Assessment Center exam is on Thursday morning 8:30 am.  So, as soon as I have that day behind me...technically, that half an hour...my summer break is golden!!

Needing

There seems to be a running theme here!...and that is summer break.  After Thursday morning is gone and behind me, I would love this summer break to go by at the speed of molasses.  

Summer Bucket List

I have so many books on my to-read list since I am behind, this also includes some professional reads I've been excited to read for the last month or so.  If you'd like to see what books I have on my list, HERE is a blog post I just put up the other day.  Also, I am going to be hosting part of The Brownbag Teacher's book talk in a couple weeks for Reading in the Wild.

For the first time since we basically moved to Arizona (9 years ago), my hubby is getting paid-vacation time from his new job!  So, we are heading back home to San Diego to enjoy a week in cooler weather. We can't wait!

Like I said, I need as much time to regroup, refresh, replenish, and get up the strength again to conquer this upcoming school year.  See all the above for how I plan to do that.  :-)

Link up with Farley and a ton of other teachers to share your Currently.  Thanks for visiting!