Sunday, August 17, 2014

A Dress Made Just For Me by eShakti!

I was recently contacted by eShakti to browse their store and choose a dress I would like to try out and show to my lovely blog readers!  Another blogger friend of mine had chosen a dress a little ways back and I was really itching to try it out for myself.  In case you've never heard about them yourself, eShakti makes both custom and regularly sized dresses, skirts, and tops.  If you want a customized dress, all you have to do is send in your measurements and from there they create a well-fitting garment!  They have a ton of very retro-inspired dresses to boot, along with trendy fashions.  For someone like me who is pear shaped and has to be careful about styles or cuts of dresses, I was really excited to pick out a form-fitting dress to see just how well the customized fit would work out.

So, I went searching through pages and pages of different dresses, skirts, and tops and finally came to this one...completely out of my realm:


Before I ordered, I took all my own measurements.  I must admit, this was a mistake.  But my husband was at work and they had already sold out of several styles I was going to try.  So, I measured my shoulder span as best as I could (they even recommend you have someone else do this part) and all the other spots like the length of my arm, bust, under bust, waist, etc.  I also had the chance to change the length of the sleeves (no thanks) and the length of the hem (I picked at the knee for work).  Surprisingly so, the dress itself was made in record speed and arrived one day after it shipped.  I'm not sure if their shipping is always this fast...but that was definitely a plus!



I did wash it first because it was quite wrinkled from the trip over to me and I didn't want to have to iron it. Heh heh.  For a sheath dress, this one first very well and the draping is quite flattering as well. Where else can you get a sheath dress that fits well?  (as long as you have someone else measure you that is)  So, by no mistake of eShakti's, the first thing you'll notice is that it is too big around my upper back. The only thing I can think of is because I did this measurement myself, but it is off by at least an inch as there is quite a lot of extra fabric there (see above picture...it is quite fitted in that area). I do plan to take this to a seamstress myself and get it fixed so I can enjoy the dress.



I've never had a form-fitting dress fit me well in the waist AND the hips.



What do you think?  It fits pretty well every where else except my upper back! 

I do wish it wasn't so long, since I thought by picking the hem at the knee would mean right above the knee.  I'm not sure if I will get the seamstress to fix it though.

All in all, the dress is good quality and the fabric is nice and thick.  Since it is cotton, I know it will breathe really well in the horrible heat here in Arizona.  I would really like to try out another dress, possibly a skirt since skirts tend to fit me in the hips but not the waist.  My hubby already said he likes it and even said it's so different than what my other dresses.  So that's a plus!  As I was putting together this post, I noticed their site is having a buy one get one sale!!!

So, here are a few other dresses I have my eye on for possible customizations.


1 /  2 / 34 / 56

Want a customized eShakti dress of your own?  If you go on now, not only can you take advantage of their BOGO sale, you get $25 off when you register.  I really think number 4 and 5 need to become part of my wardrobe...they are totally not my normal style either!!  Make sure you have someone else take your measurements.

So...what dress or piece are you eyeballing?

Please note:  This dress was sent to me by the company, but all opinions expressed are my own.